Thursday, July 16, 2009

Middle of July - Summers are Great

I am realizing once again that summers are great. Just enough stuff stops and slows down so that we can work on things that are important to us. I have used the summer to throw some things away and to make plans for getting rid of lots more.

Jonathan, Emily and Samuel are getting ready to leave for Taiwan next month. That means we have some of their things with us that will finally go with them when they leave. Then we will be able to look around the house and figure out what needs to go where. Jean and I remember the days when we were preparing to move to Congo, so we are very sympathetic and supportive with the efforts of the kids. They are past the worst, packing and moving out of their home. Now they are attending orientation meetings, getting visas, and completing travel plans. Quite an adventure.

I have used the summer to get some of the major medical checks that were needed this year. I received good reports on everything that has been done. Today I purchased a machine with a mask that is supposed to help me breathe better when I sleep at night. Several people I have talked with say that this device has been a major help to them. I am hoping it will give me a bit of a boost.

We are planning to go to Chicago in early August. That is the week we enjoy staying with the folks and attending the Willow Creek Leadership Conference. They have some excellent speakers once again this year. I am also looking forward to spending some time with my friend John Bristol, who will be at the church once again this year.

Before I know it September will be here, and this fall the schedule is intense. But for now I can work at a steady patient pace, laying the foundations for busier days to come.

No comments: